Sunday, December 18, 2011

My name is Colin Firth

IF you came here looking for Colin Andrew Firth then you may be disappointed.. At first!  Well don't click away from this page just because you didn't get what you first expected.  Imagine if we all got what we expected one-hundred percent of the time.  Where is the enjoyment in that? There would be no surprises as and no odd unexpected incident which leads to happy accidents on our way to our expected destination.  So just because I am not the Colin Firth you were expecting does not mean that I am not the Colin Firth that you are possibly trying very hard to not keep reading about.

I am not here to explicitly talk about myself here in a direct way.  This would be lame in my own opinion.  I think that just listing bullet points about yourself may provide information about oneself but does not actually express to another who one really is. For instance I am the type of person who un-occasionally uses the term 'one' to refer to the everyday person, don't you feel oh so privileged now?  What I am doing here is talking about a subject in my own way which lets me show what kind of a person I am without picking what I express in a conscience manner.  This is how I wish the reader of this blog to get to know me below the superficial level of my consciousnesses which can be compared to, how I chose to act when I have had too much to drink. This blog is in reply to a question which has been asked
"What is it like to have the same name as Colin Firth?" 
 Which has been asked by a fan of the actor Colin Andrew Firth after they have been dissapointed by Colin Daniel Firth a.k.a. Me.

Every day celebrities have to deal with the everyday public in a certain way where they have to watch what they say and act in case someone gets offended for example.  Well I just so happen to be a minority of the everyday people because I happen to have the same name as a celebrity.  Because of this, I have been involved in a number of humorous scenarios where I have had to overly convince people online that I am not Colin Andrew Firth.  Usually you would find this in the other direction but not for me.  I remember being at an event where we had to wear one of those writable name tags that start with "Hello my name is". So I did what everyone else there did and wrote my name, a very simple task indeed.  Half way through the event a lady must have been drawn to my name tag because of my name and asks me what would seem like a very strange question had it been asked to anyone else at the event. "Is that your name?" now this struck me as a very strange thing to question. It may be because of the reason that this name probably resembles something which she attributes probably warm feelings, given that whenever you see the name Colin Firth you are never too far away from a giant thread of posts commenting on his looks or to a lesser extent, his work. It may be that I am known as a bit of a practical joker and would pull something like this. But if one were to know me this well then questioning my name becomes null and void so you can relate to my wonder here.

Just to make this clear, I am not complaining about this at all.  In fact it is quite the opposite.  It is probably shocking to you that I am guilty of putting myself into the central focal point of attention.  I am a bonafide attention seeker so whenever situations like this occur I do not complain about it in the slightest, I just enjoy how the situation plays out which in turn gives me something to talk about right now.

Luckily from my mild O.C.D. with counting I have, with great ease may I add, been counting the number of people who have asked me the same question.  It has even come down to them looking at me a certain way before they ask the question and only recently have I actually picked up on the facial expression they adopt before asking
"Did you know there is an actor called Colin Firth?"
And at first, after the 5-6th time I was asked that I took the attitude of "of course I know, do you think you're the first person to ask me that?" but immediately I remembered that there WAS someone who first said that to me which is how I got into 'some' of his movies.  And anyone who asks me that question has a very low probability of knowing someone else who had asked me that question previously.  So to be asked that question, I adopt an attitude that from their perspective, they are the first person to ask that question to me.  Just so you know the number is twenty seven, twenty seven people have asked "Did you know there is an actor called Colin Firth?".  I did get a surprise from one of these people which ended up that in fact he was not referring to Colin Andrew Firth but an older actor of the same name although I am unable to find him on IMDB.com.

Your name is your identity.  You hear it and you react, it is uncontrollable and it is programmed into your sub-conscience.  It is impossible for you to not react to the sound of your name especially when both or three or even four of your names, said in the correct order of course, because Bobby-Jean Brandon-Lee no matter how cruel is not the same as Lee-Jean Bobby-Brandon.  I'm certain tho if these two people were at the same event like a raffle and one of the names were called out, the two of them would react the same way.  So to hear or see your name where you don't expect is shocking especially when that movie announcer guy Don LaFontaine or some sound-alike, who asked for less money, says "Starring Colin Firth".. well its pretty cool really.. I get to point out my name on billboards and make jokes about quick plastic surgery and unrealistic uses for erection cream, I am only 5' 8" tall, generally have one great conversation starter.

Now we are at the point of the blog, if you're still with me, where you are now thinking about my opinions on the movies which Colin Firth has starred or played in.  You may even like to have a list of movies which I have personally watched with him in.  Well here is the list in reverse chronological order

The English Patient, Fever Pitch, Shakespeare in Love, Blackadder Back & Forth, Bridget Jones's Diary, What a Girl Wants, Love Actually, Bridget Jones: The edge of reason, Nanny McPhee, A Christmas Carol (2009)

Yes, I have not yet seen "The Kings Speech" or <insert your favorite remaining Colin Firth movie here>. This list happened without plan so any of his movies I have not seen are down to circumstance and not through personal preference.

The "down sides" of having a famous name is that I have a lot of trouble finding everyday namesakes.  Look up Colin Firth on Facebook and you'll have a hard time finding someone who is not a Colin Firth fan-site.  I genuinely want to locate some namesakes after watching a video about google-whacking by David Gorman @davegorman on twitter. This man organized a meeting of fifty people with the same name as him.  I wanted to attempt the lower budget version by friend-ing all of the Colin Firths I found on Facebook.  Well the result is incredibly outweighed by the means.  I am yet to find more than what seems like abandoned Facebook sites by Colin Firths with no pictures or info surrounded by the massive collection of fansites.  Try it yourself! but still I'm not ready to overdose and cut my arms while pooping in the middle of the floor pulling out my hair out.  You would be surprised how far I am from that.  I'm about to the point where I would reference that in a blog or something like that.

I could literly go on and on about events related to having a sought after namesake which I can "Moast" about, which is a term I learned today from watching Carpool on youtube hosted by Robert Llewellen or @bobbyllew on twitter. It is a combination of moaning and boasting.  But I do not wish to test your limits of attention and end up with just one reader left who wins the prize of knowing the most useless information on the internet about a nobody with a somebody name.

No comments:

Post a Comment