Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Writing Digital Metal Music

So I have blogged in the past about writing music and all of the different software I have used to find that nice balance between functionality and ease of use.  If you haven't seen it then click this link http://cfirth.blogspot.com/2011/12/surprise-its-fruity.html

My projects thus far is in creating metal sounding music without touching a single instrument and rather just using plugins within Fruity Loops Studio 10.  I have recently acquired the EZ Drummer plugin with the Drums from Hell add-on which has some pretty sweet sounding drums.  Previous drums inside of FL10 are quite weak sounding and sound like somebody threw a sheet over the drum-kit right before they try to play them.  None of the sounds were crisp and bright sounding which makes them sound all alike when played at speeds above 140bps.  My latest creation thus far is a metal reworking of "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey.  I have had the riff in my head for a while and when I finally got strings for my guitar I was unpleasantly surprised by the fact that my guitar sounds like a contestant guessed wrong during Family Feud and the noise got stuck mid way.  I believe I have a grounding issue with my guitar which may not be helped if my home has a floating ground.  Although the other kind of floating ground may sound cool I assure you that I probably have the inversely cool a.k.a. uncool version.  I have learned to mitigate this sound temporarily by running a wire with alligator clips at each end, connected to the jack plug at one and while the other end is rammed into my mouth between my lip and my gums.  It works so I don't mind mentioning it here.  If; however, I had the crap shocked out of me then I would not have written that here.... I't would have been on youtube.  Anywho, I digress.

Continuing on about my latest project, I have managed to further improve the guitar sound by picking the DIST Metal preset on the Slayer plugin and then routing it to and effects channel which has the Hardcore plugin with two pedals, Chorus and Re-verb.  This is typically a preset also called Country.  Yeah I know but it works! The other effect below Hardcore is Soundgoodizer.  You can play with this to get your taste.  Now the bass was a little overpowering to where the Fruity Compressor did some strange things to compensate, If you turn down the bass in the EQ for the Slayer guitar then you'll do fine.  I highly recommend the EZ Drummer plugin for your drums.  This thing sounds great and certainly gives a good punch to the overall sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment